So you have double checked you are pregnant and you are bursting to plan and prepare for the next 38 weeks and your family's future.
Here are some of the things you may need to plan:
Find a Primary Care Giver - every Hospital or Medical Centre will be able to advise on birthing resources and care provider options. You can choose pregnancy care from an Independent or Hospital based Midwife or Specialist Obstetrician care. You can search the internet for a midwife in your area here www.findyourmidwife.co.nz or here www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz
Stop Smoking and Alcohol Intake and Minimise Caffeine
Begin Managing Your Lifestyle - make your day to day activities pregnancy safe. The 1st trimester is a dynamic change for your body. Change what you can change to help manage both physical and emotional stressors.
* Prolonged walking, standing or bending may need to be modified, especially in the 1st and 3rd trimesters.
* Work deadlines and responsibilities may need to be more flexible if morning sickness, fatigue or dizziness occur.
* This is a good time to look at your food choices.
* Look at your exercise routine and in general at this stage, be guided by how you feel on the day. If you are planning on beginning an exercise programme do something you enjoy, preferably with fresh air and friends, or make it 'your peaceful time' but most importantly set your goals gently. Pregnancy is not the time when you set out to 'get fit'.
* Be aware of chemicals in your environment eg gardening or doing housework.
* Check you are drinking chemical free water, avoid fluoride and filter out chlorine.
Decide When to Announce Your Pregnancy - this is a good one to sort out early on and is a personal decision. Close family, extended family, close friends, other friends, the boss, work mates - the world!! Make a time line for when you want to confirm their speculation!
Time Line Your Appointments With Your Care Provider - discuss the antenatal blood test and whether or not you will have the fourteen week ultrasound scan.
Start Taking Belly Photos - if you want to.
* Choose clothing you can wear for all of your pregnancy to show your growing baby bump eg. a tube dress or stretchy fitting top
* pick the same spot for each monthly photo
* take profile photos each time.
Think About Collecting Nursery Items and Baby Needs - make a list of everything you would like to set up your nursery, and how you can budget for it. eg. borrowed, second hand, home made or gifted. Don't forget to budget in nappies; there are several options and all of them are expensive.
Finally, in the 1st trimester, Begin the Baby Names List and Don't Share it with ANYONE.